Posted On: 08/19/2022
Location: RSW Regional Jail
6601 Winchester Road, Front Royal, VA 22630
Pay Rate: $20 per hour
Flexible hours: per diem; not to exceed 29 hours per work week. For any questions, contact Captain M D Miller at 540-622-5028.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs professional difficult level correctional work involved in the supervision and transportation of criminal and sometimes violent offenders remanded to the custody of the RSW. Work is performed in accordance with established policy, procedure and practices with general supervision of the Classification and Records Sergeant.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Manage, supervise, direct and meet the needs of the adult population remanded to the custody of the RSW jail; enforcing rules and regulations; prepare, reports, files and maintain records specifically in regards to inmate transports.
- Conduct searches of inmates, vehicles and the facility;
- Conduct all duties in accordance with policy, procedure, training, general practice or legal directive from a Superior officer;
- Perform related tasks as required;
- Perform all duties in accordance with RSW Policy and Procedures, Virginia Department of Corrections standards, PREA standards and all regulations as directed;
- Perform all duties in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Laws;
- Maintain Equipment in transport vehicles (flashlight, traffic vest, flares, fire extinguisher, etc.);
- Conduct Preventive maintenance checks (oil, coolant, tires, lights, mirrors, etc.) vehicle is in good working order;
- Maintain documentation of each transport outlining the destination, mileage, and fuel consumption;
- Coordinate transports with records and intake;
- Prepare daily transport list for the court security staff;
- Coordinate vehicle maintenance with the Facility Maintenance Manager;
- Search and fully restrain inmates using leg irons, handcuffs and waist chains;
- Maintain and inventory restraint equipment;
- Secure all occupants in an official transport vehicle in their safety belts;
- Assist security personnel when they are not performing transportation duties;
- Respond to assist and assist with emergencies while in the facility;
- Assist with shakedowns, staff-breaks, and security rounds as needed or available;
- Coordinate with the Medical section to verify if inmate needs before any transport;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge and experience in conducting day to day operation as a transportation officer. Transporting inmates to and from court and other jurisdictions. Must have the ability to operate both sedans, min vans, and full size passenger and cargo vans in all kinds of weather conditions. Experienced in reading road maps and utilizing GPS equipment. Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and operations of a modern Adult Detention Center; Ability to perform standard jail practices, procedures, use of office equipment; thorough knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic; work and prepare accurate reports from file sources; ability to perform and organize work independently; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in a highly interactive team oriented work environment and the ability to establish and maintain First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school; experience working in a modern correctional facility; experience in general office skills, ability to effectively work with senior staff personnel; ability to effectively communicate with internal and external agencies using the English language, hand writing and a computer; Must be VADCJS Jail Officer/Deputy Certified.
Must be at least 21 years of age. This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of force including but not limited to, standing and walking for long periods of time, picking up and moving heavy objects, climbing stairs and ladders, balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions, use of physical force and deployment of force equipment as needed. Effective vocal communication, hearing and vision is required. Regular exposure to pre-trial, and post-conviction inmates makes position susceptible to violent and unpredictable behavior.
This is a class description and not an individualized job specification. The class description defines the general character and scope of duties, responsibilities, and requirements of all positions in one job classification, but is not all inclusive or totally restrictive. Reasonably related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary at the discretion of management. Employees will be immediately notified of any changes.