Inmate Mail Policy
It is the policy of RSW Regional Jail that all inmates, regardless of their confinement status, shall be afforded the same correspondence rights, and that mail shall not be withheld or otherwise use as punishment. There shall be no limit on the volume of mail an inmate may send or receive, or on the length, language, content, or source of such letter mail, except where there is clear and convincing evidence to justify such limitations for security reasons. Inmates who are indigent shall be supplied with a fixed amount of stationary and postage.
All incoming inmate mail, with the exception of legal mail or money orders, must be mailed directly to a third-party mail processing center at;
RSW Regional Jail VA
P.O. Box 18247
Greensboro, NC 27419
Mail is scanned at the processing center and then electronically sent to the facility for final review. Once the mail is screened at the facility, it is sent to the inmate’s tablet. When sending mail to the processing center, please ensure you include the inmate’s name, inmate’s ID number, and the facility ID- 5258 on the envelope.
Mail Processing Center Requirements and Restrictions:
- DO NOT send legal/privileged mail to the mail processing center.
- NO NOT send cash, personal checks, or money orders mailed to the mail processing center.
- Mail must be 10 pages or less per envelope.
- Page size must be no larger than 8.5” x 11”.
- Mail can include written or typed pages, photos, drawings or greeting cards (NO
- NO glitter, glue, tape, 3D elements, or electronic components (lights, music, animation).
- NO items containing, depicting, or relating to sexually explicit activity, gang activity, illegal activity, violence, drug, or alcohol use, etc.
- NO photos of nude or partially clothed persons.
- NO illegal substances or any other items considered to be contraband.
- NO magazines, books, or packages mailed to mail processing center, NO publications of any kind.
- NO original photos or important documents such as Birth Certificates, Driver’s Licenses, Social Security Cards, Green Cards, etc., as they will not be returned.
After release, an inmate can request digital copies of his or her scanned mail. Submit the request to email@example.com and include the following:
- The request must include:
- Facility Name: RSW Regional Jail
- Inmate’s Full Name
- Inmate’s ID Number
- Email Address
Once the information is verified, an email with a link to download the postal scans will be sent to the email address provided.
Legal mail and/or money orders will be mailed directly to the facility at;
RSW Regional Jail
6601 Winchester Road
Front Royal, VA 22630
Legal mail must be marked as “Legal Mail” in order to be accepted. Any legal mail that appears suspicious in nature will be immediately returned to sender. Accepted sealed legal mail is brought to the inmate and the following steps are taken while in their presence;
- The envelope is opened
- The contents are scanned (the mobile scanner does not save this information)
- A copy of the document is provided to the inmate
- The original document is then immediately sealed in a new envelope and returned to the sender or they are shredded at that time, as directed by the inmate
RSW Regional Jail does not maintain a copy of the legal mail contents and does not handle any legal mail that is not sealed in an envelope outside of the inmate’s presence.
PLEASE REVIEW THE BELOW DOCUMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY PRIOR TO SENDING INMATE MAIL: