|Return to Postings|
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK :
Performs professional executive leadership duties as related to medical operations in an Adult Direct Supervision facility;Performs professional executive leadership duties as related to medical operations in an Adult Direct Supervision facility;Supervises RSW Jail medical personnel; Plans, facilitates and coordinates activities of the medical department; Performsprofessional basic to enhanced-level emergency and non-emergency care to inmates; Coordinates patient care throughconsultation with physician(s); Develops and implements medical/nursing guidelines and maintains medical records; Providestraining as necessary to staff and education to offenders about healthy life styles; Work is performed under a licensed physicianand general supervision of the Deputy Superintendent. This position is typically an eight hour shift, excluding emergenciesand or/ additional work required to ensure adequate staffing levels.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSTYPICAL TASKS:
Directs and supervises medical staff including but not limited to Registered Nurse(s), Licensed Practical Nurse(s), MedicationDirects and supervises medical staff including but not limited to Registered Nurse(s), Licensed Practical Nurse(s), MedicationAide(s) and Medical Records personnel. Ensures appropriate care, treatment and services are provided to inmates incoordination with the physician, dentist, mental health professional and security staff. Develops and implements medical guidelines according to RSW Regional Jail Policy and Procedures. Responds to medical emergencies, provide emergency care, triage inmates and dispense medications.
• Provides skilled nursing care to inmates;
• Provides skilled nursing care to inmates;
• Assesses inmate health problems and needs and initiates emergency intervention when necessary;
• Provides emergency medical care, and treatment to inmates, staff and visitors as needed;
• Triage and Referral of inmates to Physician;
• Reviews medical history;
• Prepares and organizes daily tasks;
• Creates and maintains schedules to ensure proper and adequate staffing levels;
• Possess knowledge and ability to utilize and maintain electronic Medication Administration Records;
• Monitors inmates for behavioral and mental status changes;
• Maintains control of all medication and drugs on hand in accordance with policy and procedures;
• Administers medication to jail inmates: discusses inmate's condition with nurse staff and Physician:sets-up, dispenses and charts medication;
• Perform task of a LPN in their absence;
• Sets up prescriptions and refills in accordance with physician orders;
• Provides instruction on general health and hygiene.
• Collects blood and urine samples, and prepares samples for laboratory tests;
• Prepares Equipment and aids Physician, Dentist and Psychiatrist during treatment and examination ofpatients;
• Assist Physician in treating more serious illnesses or injuries;
• Obtains medical records: enters medical data into computer; maintains medical records;
• Responds to emergencies;
• Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, procedures and protocol;
• Maintains inventory of supplies; sharps, medication, medication logs etc.;
• Performs all duties in accordance with RSW Policy and Procedures, Virginia Department of Correctionsstandards, PREA standards and all regulations as directed;
• Performs all duties in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Laws.
• Develop and implement medical guidelines per RSW Policy and Procedures relating to training of staff inCPR, First Aid, AED, and blood borne pathogens and universal precautions;
• Maintain necessary records and prepare required reports;
• Review and verify invoices for medical treatment and services;
• Maintain a cooperative relationship among health care teams within and outside of the facility along withRSW Regional Jail staff and other facilities.
• Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles, standards, practices and techniques of the RN Nursing field; general knowledge of pharmacology;Knowledge of the principles, standards, practices and techniques of the RN Nursing field; general knowledge of pharmacology;ability to draw blood; ability to administer medications and apply therapeutic treatment as prescribed; general knowledge of therules, regulations, procedures and polices pertaining to medical services of the detention facility; ability to accurately maintainpatient medical records and prepare reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients,physicians, associates and others contacted in the course of work. Ability to establish and maintain First Aid, CPR and AEDcertifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school; Graduation from a recognized accredited school ofAny combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school; Graduation from a recognized accredited school ofnursing. Licensed or eligible for licensure as a Registered Nurse by the Virginia Board of Nursing (or other states participating in the NurseLicensure Compact).
This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of force including but not limited to: standing and walking for long periods of time; picking upThis is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of force including but not limited to: standing and walking for long periods of time; picking upand moving heavy objects; climbing stairs and ladders; balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting,grasping, and repetitive motions; Effective vocal communication, hearing and vision is required.Regular exposure to pre-trial, and post-conviction inmates makes position susceptible to violent and unpredictable behavior.
This is a class description and not an individualized job specification. The class description defines the general character and scope of duties, responsibilities, and requirements of all positions in one job classification, but is not all inclusive or totally restrictive. Reasonably related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary at the discretion of management. Employees will be immediately notified of any changes.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.