**PLEASE NOTE: To apply, download our application from: https://rswregionaljail.com/employment/application-for-employment.html **
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs professional culinary duties in an Adult Correctional facility food service section; Interfaces with Local, County, State and Federal individuals and agencies on a regular basis; manages RSW food service inmate workers; Work is performed under the general supervision of the Food Service Manger
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Performs food service, clerical and manual work needed to effectively maintain the RSW food service operations in compliance with all applicable procedures
• Comprehensive knowledge of the Department of Corrections Minimum Standards for Local Jails and Lock ups and the Virginia Health Department Regulations and maintain compliance;
• Monitor inmate workers to optimize productivity and issue assignments in accordance with RSW policy and procedures;
• Monitor inmates workers to ensure they are adhering to all policies and procedures;
• Assist with the professional development of assigned inmates through training;
• Ensure that all logs and reports are in compliance with Regional Jail policy, Virginia State codes, Federal laws, DOC standards, and Virginia Department of Health Regulations;
• Know the location, have a working knowledge, and be able to operate emergency equipment such as air packs, duress systems, fire extinguishers, radios;
• Performs all duties in accordance with RSW Policy and Procedures, Virginia Department of Corrections standards, PREA standards and all regulations as directed;
• Performs all duties in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Laws;
• Correct deficiencies within your control and forward the others to the appropriate personnel for corrective action;
• Maintains accountability of all equipment and inmates assigned and conducts inventories and physical counts of persons, equipment, and supplies;
• Prepares, distributes and serves meals under sanitary conditions; performs duties such as washing and cutting vegetables, defrosting frozen foods, opening cans, cooking, baking, etc.;
• Train assigned inmate workers in the safe handling and use of all equipment, food trays preparation, ensuring that dietary and menu requirements are met as approved by a certified dietician;
• Inspect inmate workers for proper personal hygiene;
• Observes and enforces security procedures; assesses the attitude and temperament of inmates; reports disciplinary and security problems to RSW security staff;
• A working knowledge of all fire suppression techniques and rescue equipment;
• Maintains security of keys and communication equipment;
• Performs and Assigns routine sanitation assignments to maintain sanitary conditions in accordance with Virginia Health Department requirements;
• Ensure daily inspections and supervision of inmate workers that the kitchen area is maintained in a clean, secure and sanitary manner;
• Have thorough working knowledge of the Emergency Procedures (escapes, fire evacuations, disturbances, etc.), and known safe zones and routes in which to exit the building in an emergency;
• Responsible for maintaining current certifications in SAFSERV;
• Reviews menus and interprets recipes, modified diet plans and proper portion control in accordance with approved policy.
KNOWLEDGE. SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of requisition and inventory records; of food service operations; of food preparation and modified diets; of safety hazards and precautions; of proper sanitation methods; of food storage methods; of menu planning and recipe interpretation; of standard cooking weights and measures; and of the principles of training. Ability is required to interpret and prepare special dietary menus and menu instructions; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; to give and follow oral and written instructions; and to organize and supervise the work of others. Ability to establish and maintain First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school; experience working in culinary arts, or a similar field and one year of experience in a commercial or institutional food service environment;
This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of force including but not limited to, standing and walking for long periods of time, picking up and moving heavy objects, climbing stairs and ladders, balancing, stooping, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions; use of physical force and deployment of force equipment as needed; effective vocal communication, hearing and vision is required. Regular exposure to pre-trail, and post-conviction inmates makes position susceptible to violent and unpredictable behavior
This is a class description and not an individualized job specification. The class description defines the general character and scope of duties, responsibilities, and requirements of all positions in one job classification, but is not all inclusive or totally restrictive. Reasonably related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary at the discretion of management. Employees will be immediately notified of any changes.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.