**PLEASE NOTE: To apply, download our application from: https://rswregionaljail.com/employment/application-for-employment.html **
SIGNING BONUS: $1,500
GENERAL DEFINITION AND CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Performs professional medication administration and non-emergency care to inmates. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Nursing Director, Licensed Practical Nurses, and the licensed physician of the RSW Regional Jail.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Performs medical evaluations on inmates, which may include checking temperature, blood pressure, respiration, and pulse and dispense medication.
• Prepares and organizes daily tasks;
• Maintains Medication Administration Record;
• Maintains control of all medication and drugs on hand in accordance with policy and procedures;
• Administers medication to jail inmates: discusses inmate's condition with RN, LPN and Physician: sets-up dispenses and charts medication;
• Verifies identity of patient receiving medication;
• Ensures proper ingestion/application of medications;
• Performs observations of inmates to detect response to specified types of medications and notifies nurse of unexpected reactions;
• Ensures that medication inventories are maintained, ordered, and returned to contracted pharmaceutical providers in accordance with facility policy and established protocols;
• Assures that medical area is clean and properly stocked;
• Sets up prescriptions and refills in accordance with physician orders;
• Obtains medical records: enters medical data into computer; maintains medical records;
• Changes biohazard bags;
• Work involves some risk to personal safety, and may involve increased exposure to communicable diseases;
• Maintains necessary records and prepares required reports
• Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams within and outside of the facility along with RSW Regional Jail staff and other facilities.
• Performs related tasks as required;
• Performs all duties in accordance with RSW Policy and Procedures, Virginia Department of Corrections standards, PREA standards, and all regulations as directed;
• Performs all duties in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local Laws.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles, standards, practices and techniques of medication administration; general knowledge of pharmacology; ability to administer medications; general knowledge of the rules, regulations, procedures and polices pertaining to medical services of the detention facility; ability to accurately maintain patient medical records ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, physicians, associates and others contacted in the course of work. Ability to establish and maintain First Aid, CPR and AED certifications. Ability to follow technical oral and written instructions in exact detail. Ability to understand and strictly adhere to security guidelines and Code of Ethics required in the facility.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school;
Graduation from a recognized accredited program for medication aide. Licensed as a Registered
Medication Aide by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Two (2) years of CMA/CAN experience in
a clinic environment is desired.
This is a class description and not an individualized job specification. The class description defines the general
character and scope of duties, responsibilities, and requirements of all positions in one job classification, but is not
all-inclusive or totally restrictive. Reasonably related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary at
the discretion of management. Employees will be immediately notified of any changes.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with a disability to perform the essential